Saturday, June 7, 2008

Honeymoon-The Big Island of Hawaii

We went to 'The Big Island' of Hawaii for our Honeymoon. Thanks to my Dad for letting us use his time share! It really showed me how much my Dad loves me to give that up. I swear he cried every time the trip was brought up in conversation because he wasn't able to go this year.

This is the top of the Waipo Valley look out. It was absolutely beautiful. Rental cars aren't allowed down there, unless you have 4 wheel drive, but it just is a mile hike down so we decided why not. Well instead of going towards the beach we went the other way, because it looked like there maybe a water fall. So we just started walking. As we were walking along the street, there were some small homes down there, and then we came across a creek and were trying to figure out how to cross it when these people came out of the forest on our left. Anyway, they said there was a trail part of the way to a water fall, but at times you had to make your own, do some rock climbing, and just get in the river and walk up it because there were cliffs on both sides. So being fresh on our trip and a little crazy, we decided to try it.Here is the start of our hike, Sam was so fascinated by this plant. We saw a lot of cool flowers and plants during this hike. One of the three people we saw was carrying out something, Me being so naive didn't know what it was until Sam explained to me that it was marijuana.

This is where the trial ended and we had to get in, I didn't want to post to many pictures of this, but it was the coolest hike. It is exactly what we wanted to do in Hawaii.
Part way through our hike, we found this pool of water, Sam of course made sure it was deep enough before he started jumping in.


This the dumbest picture of me, I look like I am doing some kind of dance, but this was at the bottom of the water fall.
Looking up at the waterfall.
There were so many awesome flowers, Sam loved these trees. They were huge and covered with purple flowers surrounded by lava rock.
Our view from our first condo, we spent 4 nights in Kona and then 3 nights at Sea Mountain, by the volcano.



The Black sand Beaches at Sea Mountain.
The Sea Turtles. This was so funny, well kind of dumb of me and Sam, but as we were walking along the Sand on the edge of the water we really wanted to see a turtle. I looked up and there was a sign saying be careful of the sea turtles. Then I hear this little boy who just passed us say look at those turtles! I turn around and there they were. We passed, no joke, a foot away from them. Maybe we are just too tall to see them.
This is the Green sand Beach at South Point. We had to hike 3 miles each way. Well... just one way. A nice guy that had a 4x4 gave us a ride there. :)


The volcano was very active while were were there, they even closed some roads, that later my parents said it doesn't matter you can still go past them. Had we known... we'd probably have done something crazy, and tried to walk up to it or something.

Inside the Lava tube.


Akaka Falls


Sam was so excited that we got to walk out on the tarmac to the airplane.

We had a blast on our honeymoon. The first couple of days took us a while just to relax. It was weird not to have kids or work or a home to run. We did get homesick about 5 day in to it, but thankfully we survived that. We are really excited to be home and to be with our 4 kids.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

it looks so pretty there!! i am glad you guys had so much fun. we have been sick at our house too, no fun!!! congrats!!!

Brits said...

What black sand beach did you go to? Rust and I accidentally wandered onto a nuddist beach. Oops. Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Dad and I are glad we were able to sacrafice our vacation so that you and Sam could enjoy yourslves. Getting to babysit for you was an added bonus. Thank you for the opportunity. We love you guys.

Mom

Tara said...

The trip looked amazing - I am so glad you guys had this time together before life 'hit' (sick kids, work, etc). So much fun! Yous mom's comment cracked me up - I love it! She needs to teach Pam how to make comments ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to have such a fabulous honeymoon on the Big Island. Your parents have great taste in tropical islands... But I thought for sure I was the ONLY one in the family who had been to the Waipi'o Valley... Isn't it gorgeous!!! Did you see any of the wild horses that live there? There are still a few wandering around the valley. I love your pics and the whole blog.
Leanne

This Girl said...

That picture of you under the waterfall is hillarious! Can I getta woo woo?!

This Girl said...

My email is slerickson242@yahoo.com. I'm glad that you had such a good time. The pics are really pretty (even the one I made fun of :).